Imagine educators running for congress in droves this November! Not running as democrats or republicans…but on a kids-first platform…a pragmatic, non-partisan, what’s-best-for-all-of-us, consensus-building, invest-in-the-future tidal wave of a mandate educators ride into office.
Imagine the possibilities:
- Ending blind loyalties
- Voting out ideologues
- Rejecting quid pro quo business as usual
- Repudiating the politics of personal destruction
- Terminating cynical catering to identified political bases
- Striking the death knell for pandering to ignorance, bias, bigotry, hatred and intellectual laziness
Imagine the country becoming one giant, energized community of learners and doers, where teachers lead with a moral imperative to do what is best for everyone:
- Setting a tone and expectation that brings out our best in one another
- Demonstrating respect and tolerance for all ideas
- Making decisions based on facts and data
- Crafting policy and legislation that funds and fuels the promise of the common good
- Working with our public institutions to ensure all children are healthy, safe, supported, engaged and challenged to realize their full potential
- Espousing an inclusive vision based in a belief that we all matter and we can all make a difference
- Modeling impartial, ethical choices
- Redirecting inappropriate behavior
- Implementing policies and laws fairly and equitably
- Creating a culture of mutual support and accountability so things get done
Not that it’s going to happen this November…but it could happen…someday.
Imagine the possibilities leading by example…just like we do in our schools! Setting high standards! Following through on what we say and do! Fostering cooperation and collaboration! Even offering remedial citizenship classes for those who don’t know how to play nicely! Indeed, a vote for kids-first candidates is like sending business-as-usual career-politicians to time out to think about what they’ve been doing! <insert smirk here>
In the meantime, what if every one of us who puts children first gets out and votes in November to let those who are elected know our values and priorities, and that we hold them accountable? Let’s start there…
Vote in November!
Run in 2020!
What are your priorities when you ride that tidal wave into office?